IRISH AVIATION AUTHORITY - SENIOR ECONOMIST
This is a unique opportunity to apply your knowledge and experience within the lucrative aviation industry ~ Bring your economic expertise to assist in delivering a number of economic oversight functions in respect of civil aviation in Ireland.
- Offices centrally located in Dublin 1 (Near Green & Red Luas line, Tara Street train station and numerous bus routes)
- Hybrid working
- Salary of €71,000 - €87,000 DOE
- 28 days annual leave, flexible working arrangements & pension plan.
The Senior Economist will be responsible for the management of staff, stakeholders and certain projects and will be required to lead, contribute to, and ensure the timely and high-quality delivery of projects within the following areas:
- The economic regulation of Dublin Airport, including setting a maximum level of airport charges which may be levied by daa on users of Dublin Airport.
- Regulating the performance and charging of Irish ANSPs under the EU Single European Sky regulations, including setting the air traffic management charges for En Route services (overflights) and terminal air navigation services at Dublin, Cork, and Shannon airports.
- Declaring the capacity parameters for slot allocation at Dublin Airport.
- Feeding into policy development and implementation methods and guidelines, both domestically and at a European level.
- Data analysis and modelling for other areas of the IAA
- Objective, accurate, and thorough analysis to inform decision making and associated processes (benchmarking, forecasting of traffic, revenues, and costs, airport capacity analysis, cost efficiency analysis, performance trend analysis, financial modelling and other spreadsheet modelling)
- Drafting of consultation and decision reports and submissions, monitoring reports, internal reports, and giving presentations both internally and externally.
- Engaging in significant consultation and dialogue with key players in the aviation industry.
- The setting of service quality and delivery targets for the provision of airport and air navigation services.
Why this is the right role for you:
- Leadership role in a small team with key roles in respect of the economic regulation (cost and service quality) of airport and air traffic control services in Ireland.
- Opportunity to develop or improve practical and transferable expertise in regulatory and aviation economics, in areas such as air/passenger traffic and cost forecasting, financial modelling and Quality Assurance, the cost of capital and financing, delivery of major infrastructure projects, airport and air navigation services operations and capacity.
- Opportunity to guide the decision-making processes of the Authority and engage with a wide range of domestic and international stakeholders and organisations.
- Travel opportunities, most frequently to Brussels, to attend meetings or workshops at EUROCONTROL, the European Commission, and with other regulators. Also elsewhere around Europe, and occasionally further afield.
- Flexible working arrangements (project based).
- A postgraduate degree in economics or related field.
- Significant experience working as an applied economist
- Ability to carry out applied economic, quantitative, and policy analysis to a high standard, based on strong quantitative, analytical, and logical skills, as well as clear and accurate report writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver applied economic, quantitative, and policy analysis to a high standard of robustness and accuracy, based on strong conceptual, analytical, logical, and quantitative skills, as well as clear and accurate report writing skills.
- Project management experience
- Experience of working in a regulatory environment
- Experience of managing staff and budgets.
- Experience of detailed spreadsheet modelling in Microsoft excel, including financial modelling, data visualisation and display.
- Experience of econometrics packages such as Stata.
If you are interested in the above role, or are looking for a career change in the field, get in touch with Sarah Friel in Lex Consultancy.