My client is a statutory body based in Dublin 1. They are currently seeking an experienced Radio Engineer/Network Planning Engineer, with a proven background in operations and network planning within the radiocommunications industry to join their team for a 2 year contract.
The Radio Engineer will join the company’s Market Framework Division which is responsible for providing technical support to the regulatory activities of all of the divisions in the business, relating to all communications network issues, including the access, backhaul and core elements of networks.
The team works with the entire business in support of their regulatory activities (both policy and compliance) by:
- providing expertise on technical network issues including radio network planning and analysis;
- on behalf of the other divisions, specifying, designing, procuring and managing monitoring networks, as required in both the Radio Spectrum, and the electronic communications networks and services areas; and
- Measuring and analysing the performance of operators' networks by using operator supplied data, simulation tools and direct measurement of the networks, as necessary.
- evaluating the resilience and integrity of operators' networks; and
- the reporting of network incidents, liaising with State and International agencies (as appropriate).
Reporting to the Technical Manager Radio, the Radio Engineer role will have particular responsibility for producing composite coverage prediction maps from network architecture data and it is essential that the successful candidate will have ample relevant prior experience.
- Providing detailed technical analysis on radio networks, including network planning, simulation, field testing and measurement as required.
- Producing coverage prediction maps of: GSM, UMTS, LTE and LTE Advanced mobile networks.
- Demonstrate a strong technical knowledge of Radio Networks, particularly the RAN and Core.
- Developing excellent working relationships with Network Operators, Project Team Members, and other interested stakeholders.
- Drafting, collaborating and contributing to: Technical Requirements, Specifications, Proposals, High Level Designs, and other applicable engineering documents.
- Independently managing complex aspects of the project, including contractors, as delegated.
- Compiling, collating and analysing the results of any information requirement issued by the Network Operations Unit.
- Taking an active interest in their own CPD in order to keep abreast of the current “State-of-the-Art”, in respect of technical network issues, as well as future radio network technologies.
- Presenting the results of any analysis in a coherent manner to the commissioning divisions and Leadership Team as required.
- Drafting and preparing reports, consultations and other documentation relating to the functions of the Network Operations Unit, or the commissioning divisions within ComReg, as required.
- Advising the Senior Manager and Technical Manager Network Operations on issues including radio network planning or analysis.
- Providing technical advice, support, and guidance to other divisions, as required, to ensure they are sufficiently informed to carry out their day-to-day work. BEREC,
Qualifications and Experience
- Honours degree in radio communications, electronic or electrical engineering or similar.
- Demonstrable experience in a network planning role in an Undertaking providing fixed ECN or ECS.
- RF theory and propagation theory.
- Practical experience and demonstrable understanding of various network management and planning tools.
- Radio expert with strong hands-on technical skills and the demonstrated ability to work across multi-disciplinary teams.
- Detailed understanding of relevant 3GPP specifications.
- Detailed knowledge of wireless technology landscape including experience with mobile wireless standards (GSM, UMTS, LTE, etc.).
- Solid understanding of state-of-the-art transceiver architectures and advanced multi-antenna systems; beam forming, MIMO, MU-MIMO, etc.
- Excellent theoretical and practical experience of antenna characteristics and cellular network design including but not limited to; back-end systems, LTE and SON technologies.
- Experience in mobile network optimisation.
- Excellent written communications skills, with experience in drafting documents for publication.
- Proven ability to work in a client facing role would be advantageous.
- Experience and knowledge of network security, systems and services.
- Good understanding of the telecommunications market in in Ireland and Europe.
If you are interested in this position, please apply with your CV highlighting your relevant experience.