Job Reference: MN11437
Title: Head of Product Safety in CCPC - Assistant Principal grade
Head of Product Safety in CCPC - Assistant Principal grade
The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission has a broad mandate, covering all sectors of the economy, with statutory responsibility for the enforcement of competition and consumer protection law. The CCPC has a vacancy for a Head of Product Safety, which is a role that is central to role in the protection of consumers from unsafe products, the enforcement of product safety legislation and the on-going development of the CCPC approach to its product safety responsibilities. The role is based in the Criminal Enforcement Division and will report to the Director of Criminal Enforcement Division
The Head of the Product Safety unit will be responsible for managing and leading a team of 5 team members.
Manage the day-to-day work of the Unit, as set out in the Divisional workplan including :
• Ensuring prompt and effective investigation of product safety consumer complaints with appropriate follow-up with the relevant economic operator (retailer, distributor or manufacturer) as required.
• Ensure all investigations, related information / documentation, correspondence and communications are recorded on the PSU database.
• Provide technical and scientific support and information to staff in the Unit.
• Research new products and related safety issues as they arise.
• Provide guidance and assistance to staff to ensure that the appropriate enforcement action is initiated as appropriate.
• Provide technical and product safety related information to other Divisions in the CCPC in order to raise awareness of product safety related issues for consumers and economic operators.
• Review, assess and summarise technical test reports and compliance documentation to ensure that the products being made available to Irish consumers are safe and that the economic operator has complied with their legal duties under Irish legislation.
• Ensure that all relevant product recalls (including Rapex notifications relevant to Ireland) are posted on the CCPC website and are followed up/ acted upon by the relevant economic operator.
• Provide technical and enforcement information relating to product safety issues to the Consumer Policy Unit in the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation (DJEI) and assist in the drafting and implementation of product safety related legislation.
• Liaise with other national market surveillance authorities in Ireland and other EU member states to ensure consumers are protected from unsafe products.
• Represent the CCPC on various national and EU product safety, market surveillance and standardisation fora or committees.
• Liaise with Customs Authorities in order to ensure that products being imported into Ireland comply with the relevant product safety legislation and do not pose a risk to consumers.
• Ensure that senior CCPC management is provided with relevant, comprehensive and regular reports on product safety cases and related issues as required.
• Manage the development and implementation of Product Safety related procedures and protocols to ensure a prompt end consistent approach to enforcement.
• Facilitate and progress the development of Data Sharing Agreements and Memoranda of Understanding with related government departments and agencies so as to facilitate prompt and efficient exchange of relevant information in order to protect consumers from unsafe products.
• Prepare and progress forfeiture order applications and prosecution cases based on evidence obtained during investigations and market surveillance activities (in association with CCPC Legal Services Division).
• Monitor investigations and enforcement action to ensure that economic operators comply with their duties and consumers are protected from unsafe products and where necessary, advocate for changes to legislation or related safety standards improve the safety of products placed on the Irish Market.
• Research, assess and summarise the key points of emerging product safety issues at national, European and international level to ensure that staff in Unit and staff other Divisions in the CCPC have the relevant product safety related information available to them.
Applicant for position must demonstrate
• A technical or scientific qualification with practical experience in a regulatory and enforcement area
• Strong leadership, communication and people management skills
• Specialist Knowledge, Expertise and Self Development
• Analysis and Decision making
• Management & Delivery of Results
• Team Leadership,
• Drive and Commitment,
• Leadership & Strategic Direction
• Familiarity with the EU regulatory environment
• Experience with the application of complex EU Directives and Regulations
A Post-graduate Qualification in Health and Safety would be an advantage.
SALARY: Assistant Principal Officer grade and additional benefits including pension
Entry will be at the minimum of the scale (€65,000 - non negotiable) and increments may be awarded subject to satisfactory performance and to changes in the terms and conditions relating to salary increments in the Civil/Public Service generally.
ANNUAL LEAVE: 30 working days per annum service.
This is a permanent, full time role that will provide you with the opportunity to make a significant contribution to both the organisation and the broader community.
To be considered for this role and to receive the full job description, please apply by uploading your CV via the link. All applications will be treated in confidence by Michelle Nolan in Lex Consultancy.
Closing date for applications: Tuesday, 28th of March, 2017
Interview date: Thursday, 30th of March, 2017